Rules and Such...

- Challenges are posted every Wednesday
- You may combine this challenge with others
- You can use any products or stamps (you aren't restricted to just using Pixie Cottage, although we would love to see how you use our products too!)
- Post your creation on your blog with a direct link to this challenge
- Entries due by midnight (EST) on the Tuesday night before the next challenge
- Winners will be announced on Fridays!

Jan 23, 2010

Time for Another Tutorial

Hello Everyone!
It's time for another Saturday tutorial and this time it comes from very talented Design Team member Risa of Life's Simple Pleasures.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it and I can't wait to try it myself.
I'll hand you over to Risa and her little lesson.

Hello Everyone,
Today I would like to share with you a tutorial on how to make cute gifts out of materials that would normally go to the recycle bin. I think it is great when you can save a few pennies and I hope that after viewing my picture tutorial, you will feel the same way as I do!

Materials needed..... any container of choice, design paper, ruler, marker, circular punches, double sided tape. Optional items are ribbon and border punch. (The sky is the limit here and you can basically use what ever you want to embellish)


Paper measurements were 6" by 8 3/4"
I am beginning my tutorial with an empty Crystal Light container. I feel that it is easier to have some sort of guide to insure that your design paper wraps evenly and this is why I used a ruler and marker at this point. I found the almost invisible seam from the peeled off label and with my ruler, I drew a line on my container.


Now, carefully line up your design paper against the drawn in line and peel off sections of the double sided tape as you are wrapping the design paper around your container.


I'm almost finished with my project and off to the fun part....deciding how to embellish!!! I could have left my project on the plain side but I decided to add some decorated trim.

I started with two pieces of cardstock and the measurements were 1" X 8"
I then used my edge punch and created the fancy trim.

To keep a uniform look, apply your decorated trim at the seam of your design paper and carefully peel off the double sided tape as you proceed to wrap.

Now it is time to decorate the lid of the container. Because of the small size of the lid, my Marvey U. circle and circle scallop punch were a perfect match.

To secure my ribbon, added two mini glue dots to the scalloped piece of cardstock

and then I applied some glue

to the circular piece of design paper. Because my lid has a slight depression, I added some pop dots to give my scalloped piece some height.

After adhering the scalloped piece to the lid, I simply made a bow and now I'm ready to add my treat!

Once again, the "sky is the limit" here. You can put a treat bag inside the container or you can add pencils, pretzels ...what ever fits your needs. I added a simple treat bag and "Ta Da" I'm finished with my project . Because I made my gifts with only materials that I had on hand, my final cost was only $3.50 which was the price of the candy and it was on sale!

I hope that my tutorial was inspirational and if you are on a budget, a money saver as well.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job, Risa! Have to try this myself!

BitchA.Lgl© said...

it's really wonderful....

Janiel/ janny said...

Great Job Risa.... lots of work to do one of these!!!
hugs, Janiel

Sandra H. said...

Thank you Risa!! Wonderful idea!!

Katie said...

I love this!
I have some Pringle cans that are almost finished (thanks to the kiddos) that would work for this.
Guess it good for the recycling! LOL
Wonderful tutorial Risa :)

Anne said...

Risa your tutorial is great!! =)

Beautiful Greetings said...

Awesome Tutorial Risa! I love the way the lid looks with the ribbons and bows. Great job.

Cami said...

Excellent tutorial Risa! I love how they all came out. Great inspiration...now I'll start saving recyclables to repurpose! Keep the inspiration coming! Hugs, Cami

Post a Comment